Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Review: Waiting for Dusk by Nancy Pennick


Title: Waiting for Dusk
Author: Nancy Pennick
Release Date: 27th November 2012
Publisher: Melange Books
Find on: Goodreads

Quick ReviewRead a book.
Fall asleep.
Meet a boy.
Is it real or just a dream?
Katie’s everyday life suddenly turns exciting when she travels back in time and meets the boy of her dreams. Thinking of nothing else, willing to leave the real world behind, she’s determined to find out if it’s all a dream or not. Returning again and again, Katie almost has her answers until one day her precious book goes missing.



Detailed Review: I wasn't sure what to think when I finished the book. In a way I thought it was good, but there were several factors that didn't make it as good as it could have been.

So I thought that I would start by listing what I liked about the book, and what I didn't like about the book.

But first, maybe a little spoiler... If you don't mind. It's about time travelling.

What I liked
1. The concept of time-travelling is very old, though still frequently used. But it's the methods that usually vary. The most common one is usually via a machine but in Waiting for Dusk, a book is needed. Not just any book, but a special one. I liked that there were no clichés regarding this part.

2. The setting of the story is in Oberlin, a small town. It's pretty unimpressive. But it's the place where Katie time travels to that seems beautiful to me. Arizona, The Grand Canyon... *has dreamy look on face* The best place for romance to bloom right? *wink*

3. The characters were well thought-out. I liked how they each had their own quirks. It made it easier to connect with the characters. At first, I thought there wasn't much to the characters, but when I reached the last few chapters, I realised that I had grown to love them and it just pains me to know if one of them is suffering, especially Kate. :(

4. THE TWIST. Yes! There is only one twist in this book. The one and only. Instead of deciding to have several tiny little twists throughout the book, Nancy decided to save the best for last and put it in the last few chapters. There is a great risk of getting a heart attack when you read that exquisite twist. All I can tell you is, it's heartbreaking.

What I didn't like:

1. The romance was love at first sight, something I totally dislike because it just doesn't seem natural. It somehow destroys part of the purpose of having romance at all, since we all know that romances take time to develop, although there are a few exceptional cases. But the love at first sight part was the only thing I disliked. I loved the part where their love for each other grows stronger that it withstands the power of time. 

2. The writing style didn't really suit the story. It made the story dragged on in some parts and has a very likely chance of boring the reader. What I want is fast paced writing with sudden stops to create surprises.

So to sum it all up, I think the book's good points actually balanced out the bad points and made them seem more acceptable. 

Brief Review: Even though there seemed to be some faults in the book which annoyed me, I felt that Nancy actually put in all her efforts to write this book. And I think it has paid off. This is a great debut written by a promising author!

Final Rating: 3.5/5 'Quite Liked'

QUOTE: I think this quote best describes the love stories in Waiting for Dusk:

Love knows not what time is--- Unknown


Your Reviewer:

No comments:

Post a Comment