Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Review: Requiem for Blood by Alexandra Hope

Requiem for BloodTitle: Requiem for Blood
Author: Alexandra Hope
Publisher: Createspace
Release Date: 25th March 2013
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads

Quick Review: Seventeen year old Olivia Cohen has always had an appetite for blood and an aversion to the sun as a human and when she is killed by a mysterious young woman, she finds her appetite has heightened and her skin is now burned by the sun. Living her life in a colony with other people who live a "vampire-like" lifestyle, she has grown up hunting humans and believing there is a blood so powerful it will turn them from vampire-like into true vampires. On one of Olivia's final nights as a human she meets eighteen year old Troy Evans and is immediately drawn to the unique scent of his blood. Now as an actual vampire, she must learn how to suppress her need to hunt and kill for his sake and decide if his unique blood is worth saving from those who seek it.

Detailed Review: To be honest, I don't really appeal to stories that involve vampires or stuff of the like (although I go for werewolves more) but in the end this book totally rocked my world. 

This is not some Twilight book you'll expect, this is something different, something NEW, which I totally drank it like ironically, a vampire drinking blood. Because of this book, I look at vampires in a whole different light, because it is really not your average vampire story where some girl falls in love with a vampire and wants to live with him forever. If this is what you are expecting, you definitely won't get it. I mean even I was fooled by it. 

In the book there was one character I loved the most, which was the main character. Let me just say why. At first, when I read the book, I didn't really like her, but as it progressed my admiration for her started building up to a high level. When she turned into a vampire, she totally accepted it. And even though a vampire isn't supposed to be compassionate or human at all, Olivia is actually the most human vampire I've read about. When she killed her sister Alexa, she grieved and grieved and never forgave herself. Usually vampires would just forget about it but she still remembered it. And when she went on a hunting spree with another one of her colony members and killed many people for their blood, this heightened her conscience. Her ability to feel even as a vampire fascinated me.

Also, another aspect of the book which I liked was how you turned into a vampire. There are actually conditions for it. 

First, you have to be a blood-drinking human.

Second, you have to acquire a special type of blood, which comes from kitsunes, or fox spirits.

Olivia got the blood from Troy Evans, who is half-kitsune, if you're wondering with some help from 'a girl with all the answers', Erika, who is also a kitsune.

Although the book had not much romance, I still completely enjoyed it.

Brief Review: A vampire book with a whole new twist is just AWESOME. I hope I will stumble upon more books like this! Please say that there would be a sequel, please Alexandra. I am jumping up and down now with too much adrenaline! All from the book because it's packed with action too! Did I forget to mention that?

Final Rating: 5/5 'Totally Amazing'




Your Reviewer: 







No comments:

Post a Comment